Tags

Type your tag names separated by a space and hit enter

English yew poisoning in 43 cattle.
J Am Vet Med Assoc. 1993 May 01; 202(9):1476-7.JA

Abstract

Thirty-five privately owned 1- to 2-year-old mixed-breed steers and heifers, weighing 340 to 454 kg, died from accidental ingestion of English yew (Taxus baccata). Estimated dosages ranged from 0.36 to 0.70 g of fresh plant/kg of body weight. Clinical signs of poisoning and death began 2 to 3 hours after first exposure, and cattle continued to have clinical signs, which ended in death 6 to 8 hours later. Most cattle had died by 4 hours after first ingestion. Necropsy of 4 cattle revealed substantial amounts of English yew leaves and small stems in the rumen contents. Grossly, there were areas of hyperemia in the abomasum and small intestine. Histologically, lesions were limited to the lungs and included moderate congestion and interlobular edema. Chemical analysis by thin-layer chromatography of suspected yew plant material from the rumen contents of the 4 necropsied cattle was compared to authentic taxol, and confirmed the presence of taxol in rumen samples.

Authors+Show Affiliations

USDA Agricultural Research Service (ARS) Poisonous Plant Research Lab, Logan, UT 84321.No affiliation info availableNo affiliation info availableNo affiliation info availableNo affiliation info available

Pub Type(s)

Journal Article

Language

eng

PubMed ID

8098701

Citation

Panter, K E., et al. "English Yew Poisoning in 43 Cattle." Journal of the American Veterinary Medical Association, vol. 202, no. 9, 1993, pp. 1476-7.
Panter KE, Molyneux RJ, Smart RA, et al. English yew poisoning in 43 cattle. J Am Vet Med Assoc. 1993;202(9):1476-7.
Panter, K. E., Molyneux, R. J., Smart, R. A., Mitchell, L., & Hansen, S. (1993). English yew poisoning in 43 cattle. Journal of the American Veterinary Medical Association, 202(9), 1476-7.
Panter KE, et al. English Yew Poisoning in 43 Cattle. J Am Vet Med Assoc. 1993 May 1;202(9):1476-7. PubMed PMID: 8098701.
* Article titles in AMA citation format should be in sentence-case
TY - JOUR T1 - English yew poisoning in 43 cattle. AU - Panter,K E, AU - Molyneux,R J, AU - Smart,R A, AU - Mitchell,L, AU - Hansen,S, PY - 1993/5/1/pubmed PY - 1993/5/1/medline PY - 1993/5/1/entrez SP - 1476 EP - 7 JF - Journal of the American Veterinary Medical Association JO - J Am Vet Med Assoc VL - 202 IS - 9 N2 - Thirty-five privately owned 1- to 2-year-old mixed-breed steers and heifers, weighing 340 to 454 kg, died from accidental ingestion of English yew (Taxus baccata). Estimated dosages ranged from 0.36 to 0.70 g of fresh plant/kg of body weight. Clinical signs of poisoning and death began 2 to 3 hours after first exposure, and cattle continued to have clinical signs, which ended in death 6 to 8 hours later. Most cattle had died by 4 hours after first ingestion. Necropsy of 4 cattle revealed substantial amounts of English yew leaves and small stems in the rumen contents. Grossly, there were areas of hyperemia in the abomasum and small intestine. Histologically, lesions were limited to the lungs and included moderate congestion and interlobular edema. Chemical analysis by thin-layer chromatography of suspected yew plant material from the rumen contents of the 4 necropsied cattle was compared to authentic taxol, and confirmed the presence of taxol in rumen samples. SN - 0003-1488 UR - https://wwww.unboundmedicine.com/medline/citation/8098701/English_yew_poisoning_in_43_cattle_ DB - PRIME DP - Unbound Medicine ER -