Tags

Type your tag names separated by a space and hit enter

The Montgomery Lecture, 1979. Ocular metallosis.
Trans Ophthalmol Soc U K. 1979; 99(4):502-10.TO

Abstract

'Redox processes' and complex biochemical formations offer a simple key to understanding metallotic damage to the eye. Various factors determine the timing and severity of this damage. Siderosis is a process with a chronic course. In a large group of patients with copper-containing foreign bodies the majority showed a more acute course. In the past, the relatively rare cases of chronic chalcosis without fibrotic reactions in the vitreous determined the text book descriptions familiar to our fathers. In our series of 282 cases of copper-containing foreign bodies in the vitreous, the chalcosis took a subacute, acute, or fulminating course in 68 per cent, and only half of the other 32 per cent represented time chronic chalcosis. In 18 per cent the injury was recent and the cellular reaction was only just beginning. Cellular reactions, especially fibrosis, are the chief characteristics of acute chalcosis. Vitrectomy permits the surgical treatment of eyes with severe vitreous fibrosis and retinal detachment, but because these eyes are in the pre-phthisic stage, a fair number of successes is counterbalanced by an increasing number of enucleations.

Authors

No affiliation info available

Pub Type(s)

Journal Article

Language

eng

PubMed ID

299133

Citation

Neubauer, H. "The Montgomery Lecture, 1979. Ocular Metallosis." Transactions of the Ophthalmological Societies of the United Kingdom, vol. 99, no. 4, 1979, pp. 502-10.
Neubauer H. The Montgomery Lecture, 1979. Ocular metallosis. Trans Ophthalmol Soc U K. 1979;99(4):502-10.
Neubauer, H. (1979). The Montgomery Lecture, 1979. Ocular metallosis. Transactions of the Ophthalmological Societies of the United Kingdom, 99(4), 502-10.
Neubauer H. The Montgomery Lecture, 1979. Ocular Metallosis. Trans Ophthalmol Soc U K. 1979;99(4):502-10. PubMed PMID: 299133.
* Article titles in AMA citation format should be in sentence-case
TY - JOUR T1 - The Montgomery Lecture, 1979. Ocular metallosis. A1 - Neubauer,H, PY - 1979/1/1/pubmed PY - 1979/1/1/medline PY - 1979/1/1/entrez SP - 502 EP - 10 JF - Transactions of the ophthalmological societies of the United Kingdom JO - Trans Ophthalmol Soc U K VL - 99 IS - 4 N2 - 'Redox processes' and complex biochemical formations offer a simple key to understanding metallotic damage to the eye. Various factors determine the timing and severity of this damage. Siderosis is a process with a chronic course. In a large group of patients with copper-containing foreign bodies the majority showed a more acute course. In the past, the relatively rare cases of chronic chalcosis without fibrotic reactions in the vitreous determined the text book descriptions familiar to our fathers. In our series of 282 cases of copper-containing foreign bodies in the vitreous, the chalcosis took a subacute, acute, or fulminating course in 68 per cent, and only half of the other 32 per cent represented time chronic chalcosis. In 18 per cent the injury was recent and the cellular reaction was only just beginning. Cellular reactions, especially fibrosis, are the chief characteristics of acute chalcosis. Vitrectomy permits the surgical treatment of eyes with severe vitreous fibrosis and retinal detachment, but because these eyes are in the pre-phthisic stage, a fair number of successes is counterbalanced by an increasing number of enucleations. SN - 0078-5334 UR - https://wwww.unboundmedicine.com/medline/citation/299133/The_Montgomery_Lecture_1979__Ocular_metallosis_ DB - PRIME DP - Unbound Medicine ER -